Monday, August 20, 2007

Events of the Last Week or So

Long story short...since a few of you have visited and seen no recent posts...I spent the last 12 days practicing my bedside manner. It left little time for posting. My bride of 15 years was admitted to the hospital through the ER. Surgery was mid-morning on 8.12. We sprung her yesterday and she's recovering due to the terrific care of nurses and doctors. Its remarkable how quickly the body figures out a way to heal.

It was 2006 when I resolved to learn more about empathy and succeeded to a small degree. But there is no way to feel the pain of a tube down your nose! What's hard still to explain is how exhausting it is to realize there is nothing you can do but be there.

I did read a few good books (ongoing). And the daily newspaper which picked up a couple of stories I want to share....

  • The WSJ online (newest paper in the media-wealthy Murdoch empire) ran a story on the 10 year anniversary of blogging. Here's a question - is 10 years of blogging equivalent to 100 information years or 100 information minutes? The observations on the status of web logs from noted personalities (though I'm not exactly sure how the hell Newt Gingrich got tapped) are the best part. But I'm a personality and opinion junkie :)
  • The death of Elvis in 1977. Where were you? I was cleaning bathrooms at local college with a complete Elvis maniac. Though I was not a huge fan at the time (since then I've grown to really dig his gospel renditions), it devastated her. Thirty years hence we have this story about the enormous money a brand generates. And the heartburn associated with the Kings favorites sandwich - the Fools Gold Loaf.
  • Charlie Rose is not TiVo'ed at my house so his website - in beta - shows the conversation skills many of us aspire to. Search for your favorite personality and see what they think.

My plan is to be a more frequent community contributor in the coming days.

13 comments:

Mario Vellandi said...

Bro,
I hope she gets better. Sorry to hear :(
You sound like you're in good spirits though

Mack Collier said...

Bob sorry to hear that but glad your wife is doing better!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your "bride" is home and recovering. Best wishes to her for a speedy and full one.

Bob G said...

Thanks Mario - I sometimes think good spirits is what carry us through...along with good wine :) - which I guess is a spirit

Mack - a little better every day - thanks

David - She'll be back at it before too long. Good thing we got rain cuz it was her turn to mow the lawn - LOL. I was teasing her that she caught a break this time around.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bob

Takes the illness of someone you love dearly to put things into perspective! I hope she is better quickly. And remember you need to take care of yourself too..... so leave that lawn alone! Thinking about you across the miles
Jackie

Robyn McMaster, PhD said...

Bob, says a lot about who you are that you put empathy over all else for the last few days! Makes me even more glad to know you.

Truly hope the love of your life is on her way to recovery!

Anonymous said...

Bob,

You set a good example for all of us. I am glad your wife is home. Take care, friend.

Bob G said...

Thanks Robyn - I'm glad to know you too - and always good to see you stopping on this little part of the blogiverse...recovery is going well. Staples out yesterday

Better watch who's examples your advising to watch, friend Lewis - I only talk about my good ones in public :)

Even after taking care of myself (which nobody needs to worry about with me) got the lawn mowed, Jackie - although once again I'm considering getting a horse or a goat!

Gavin Heaton said...

Sorry to hear, Bob. Very happy that things turned out ok!

Valeria Maltoni said...

My strategy is to always have good wine and the company of good people around. In the midst of it all, I'm glad your wife had you at her side.

Sending good vibes and positive thoughts her way and your way.

Bob G said...

Thanks Gavin and Valeria - hope to be back in the swing of things soon. I have new found respect and admiration for care givers...thats for certain - really appreciate each of you dropping by.

...and I'll remember that wine tip, V - though it doesn't take much of a reminder for that :)

Robyn McMaster, PhD said...

I pray all is well, Bob.

Bob G said...

Everything is good Robyn - better every day - Thanking you...