Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Book Tag

Here's a simple and fun meme. Mark Goren tagged me. To play, answer the 5 questions and tag 5 people. Its about books.

Up until 15 years ago, I was a lazy reader. There were many books started but few finished. One year I resolved to read a book a month. I figured if there were enough people to have a Book of the Month Club, I should be able to read one a month. You won't believe what happened...the more I read the less lazy I became about reading. The more I read the more fun it became. Along with more fun came that easy feeling. Now when someone asks about favorite pastimes, reading appears near the top of my list - along with cycling, walking and jamming.

The 5 questions are:

  1. How many books do you own?
  2. What was the last book you read?
  3. What was the last book you purchased?
  4. What five books are most meaningful to you?
  5. What is your most obscure favorite book?
Here are my answers with links to various references about them
  1. Far more than I've read. I'm a hoarder and really bad about hanging on to things in general but books in particular.
  2. Lately, I've had 2 books going at the same time - one business/professional growth, the other a "diversion" read. The last books I finished were Robin Hood Marketing - Katya Andresen - I love her publishing company Jossey-Bass. This happens to be the current MarketingProfs Book Club selection. The other was The Road by Cormac McCarthy. The link lands on a flash page of one sentence reviews. Currently, I'm reading Half a Life by V.S. Naipaul - excellent example of story telling -and looking for a professional book.
  3. The last two were Robin Hood Marketing and Citizen Vince - Jess Walter, a Spokane writer.
  4. *** Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary - I have a dozen dictionaries. If you're ever in a pinch for a gift, you can't go wrong giving someone a dictionary. It's the first "book" I ever remember reading. Words - what a concept! *** Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert Pirsig - touched me at a critical time of growth. *** Be Here Now - Ram Dass - the hippie in me manifests itself...I've worn out a copy and lost a copy. *** Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J. K. Rowling. The first in the series was fresh, engrossing and like nothing I'd read. I could not put it down. They've only gotten more fun to read. Wizards Unite! *** A Whole New Mind - Dan Pink. Here's my review.
  5. What is obscure to some is not so obscure to others. Charterhouse of Parma - Stendahl. Its a book written in 1839 that stands the test of time.
    "Ostensibly a romantic thriller, interwoven with intrigue and military episodes, the novel also features Stendhal's acute grasp of human nature and psychology"
I was tagged by Mark who was tagged by Troy Worman who was tagged by Phil Gerbyshak - the "Make it Great" guy.

If they care to play, I'm tagging - Robyn McMaster, Mark Van Patten, David Brazeal, Jackie Cameron, Robert Hruzek. And remember - play even if you aren't tagged. I'd love to see what everybody is reading. Just link back to this entry so I can follow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Bob. Thanks for playing along.

Bob G said...

Your welcome and thank you, Mark - it was a fun entry and a terrific meme. Someday I'll count all these books :)

Anonymous said...

Reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance made a difference in my life. Few books affect me in that way.

Bob G said...

Lewis - Two things I still remember from that book -
1 - Number of keys = amount of responsibility. I've always tried to limit my keys to a manageable level. That does not preclude me from hunting for the blasted things though I've never lost any
2 - If you don't wear an item of clothing within a years time, you don't need it anymore. This helps me clean out the closet and drawers every year.