Saturday, June 16, 2007

Paul Potts can sing - for real

Cord Silverstein, Marketing Hipster, posted first on Monday and again on Friday this week on Paul Potts, a mobile phone salesman in UK. A great conversation going on over there. What I really dig about Cord - and Marketing Hipster - is his bold approach and wide range of topics. He posts about a lot of things and you know where he stands on them. Here's the video of the semi-finals on the UK's "Britain's Got Talent" - the final is Sunday, June 17:



If this performance does anything for you be sure to view the first one (2,000,000 views). This WILL chill you! It appears Britain has an "undiscovered" opera singer. My comment at Marketing Hipster alludes to my skepticism about Paul being newly found talent. The show plays up his lack of confidence - Cord's main point, too. The producers have chosen to portray him as an underdog and everybody loves the underdog (see Boston Red Sox and Chicago Cubs). I might have chosen a focus on his persistence and desire - a touch more humanistic is my approach. But I'm not a television producer.

His voice is astounding and well trained. He has had marvelous teachers. I have a feeling his PR machine is about to explode should he win the competition. Carphone Warehouse - where Paul works at the moment - has him pictured on their home page. Don't you just love opportunities to market! It appears they need a little server help at the moment as the links to Paul Potts video aren't working.

I don't see any way he doesn't win. Paul - and Britain - knows he's already a winner. Next week the world will know. Whether opera can stick in popular culture might be the next big question.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

His voice is incredibly moving. It's a real tearjerker.

Anonymous said...

(the tearjerker is not the "con te partiro" but Aida in his original audition)

Bob G said...

His Aida absolutely shocked me, philippe. Each time I play it - which has been dozens - at the climax I am shaking.

Incredible that music holds such power.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for showing this one! first off, you hit it...he's ALREADY won (and won our hearts). I swear this man is responsible for moving the world this week.

There's no doubt he won't have an agent even if he doesn't win. But what he's done is given a zillion underdogs hope and confidence.

And now this comment must end as I go cry yet again.

Bob G said...

Thank you CK - its a voice for the ages! And I do believe he gives us all great hope -

Anonymous said...

Bob,

Very well said as always. Just as an update, Meg just sent me a link that Paul won the show! He will now record an album and sing fro the Queen. I hope he gets everything he always wanted.

Thanks!

Bob G said...

Thank you, Cord. Knew I could count on you for letting us know Paul Potts won. His is a great story. Can you just imagine singing for Her Majesty, The Queen!!!

Anonymous said...

Well Bob- up til I read your blog I had never heard Paul Potts sing. I live in the UK but had completely managed to miss the show. However the papers have been full of him - and the 2 little girls he was up against - so I knew who he was. Singing "Time to say Goodbye" ... that always brings a lump to my throat. It is a beautiful song and he sang it beautifully. But I guess what I take from his win is that it has taken about 10 years of hard work ( so it says in the papers) to get here. He has incurred huge costs ( described as debts in the press) but he followed his heart and is now living his dream. Whether there will be a high profile career out of it remains to be seen. Winners of these sort of shows don't seem to have long lasting success.
We had a similar show running a few weeks ago where a young guy who works for Tesco the supermarket chain got to the final. Tesco posted ads supporting him too. I use the local store where he worked and during the competition it was full of posters of him and regular announcements to vote for him. As a community exercise it was great!

Anonymous said...

Bob,

Thanks for sharing. I am not an opera fan so I can't take too much of Paul. But I do know a bit about human will and branding. If Paul is choosing to be a mobile phone salesman because he has a passion for it, good for him. If he is a mobile phone salesman because he afraid to pursue his musical dream, all the talent in the world matters not at all. Fear trumps talent every time. And that can be either fear of success or fear of failure.

Bob G said...

I'm so glad you got to hear Paul Potts here, Jackie. I was hoping you'd stop by :). I've been curious to hear from someone across the pond! It's good to know the papers are presenting his story. He has obviously invested a great deal in developing a voice so powerful. Sounds like you're similar to me regards TV :) We have a show called "American Idol" (complete with Simon Cowell) which I've never seen. The only way I keep up with it is through the newspaper and magazines.

That's a great community building example from Tesco.

Bob G said...

Great points, Lewis. No opera fan myself - but I do love a strong tenor. And I know well enough his voice has taken years to develop. For some reason, whether through passion, persistence or pure practice, he's managed to rise above his fears. At least for the present. I reckon time will tell.

Going Like Sixty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Going Like Sixty said...

"passion, persistence or pure practice"
Aha, I see Paul Potts released the alliteration demon in you too.
I got it out of my system by writing about it!

Bob G said...

Alliteration, going like sixty, has been a downfall of mine for long time :) Thanks for noting it and commenting here.